Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Finding Success in a Failure

Sometimes I'll dream up a beautiful idea for a soap and work for hours trying to make it absolutely perfect. Usually, the dream turns out to be a reality... or it comes out pretty close to what I was hoping for. Other times, something goes wrong and what I was hoping to be a beautiful bar of soap comes out with some sort of deformity or other problem/error/mistake. It's easy to get bummed out when this happens but I've learned to make my mistakes into new works of art!

Take this bar of soap as an example. I was so proud of myself for all the beautiful layers I had created and it smelled SO good. I was sure it was going to be one of my favorites (and had it turned out the way I wanted it probably would have made that favorites list). But something happened along the way and one layer just would NOT stick to the other layers and fell out of every bar I cut from the loaf (except this bar here -- which was an end piece)! How annoying!

The colors were all so beautiful that I decided to make a new bar of soap that would be able to show off some of the gorgeous hues. I took out the problem layer (in this case, it was the white layer) and melted it down. Next I took the purple and pink layers and chopped them up into little cubes. I combined the cubes into the melted white layer to create this fun bar of soap that reminds me of a geode!

Isn't it amazing how you can take something that didn't turn out the way you wanted and create a whole new fun idea!? Failure schmailure!!

No comments:

Post a Comment